Chattahoochee Valley Historical Society
SPEAKING ABOUT THE PAST TO THE PRESENT FOR A BETTER FUTURE
|HOME | MEMBERSHIP | PROGRAMS | NEWSLETTER | BOOKS FOR SALE | PROJECTS | ARCHIVES | CONTACT US|
ABOUT THE CHATTAHOOCHEE VALLEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The home of the Chattahoochee Valley Historical Society (CVHS) is the Cobb Memorial Archives. When the Cobb Foundation built the Archives, the CVHS collection became the nucleus of the Archives and has continued to grow. The mission of the CVHS is to collect and preserve the history of the area through manuscripts; community, church, family and business records; photographs; and oral and video histories. Another important aspect of the CVHS is the publication of books that are particularly applicable to the region.
The Chattahoochee Valley Historical Society held its first organizational meeting on January 6, 1953, at the West Point Woman's Club House. Officers elected in 1953 were: Mark Fretwell, President; B.B. McGinty, 1st Vice President; Earl Edwards, 2nd Vice President; Mrs. Jim Young, Secretary; and Charles Houston, Treasurer.
As a non-profit membership organization, the Chattahoochee Valley Historical Society seeks to preserve and promote the history and heritage of Chambers County, Alabama, West Point, Georgia, and the greater Chattahoochee Valley area. CVHS supports the Cobb Memorial Archives, produces and sells historical books and media, publishes a quarterly newsletter, and presents programs with speakers on historical topics of local and regional interest.
Having been in continuous operation since its founding in 1953, the Chattahoochee Valley Historical Society strives to uphold the vision of its founders while posturing the organization for growth in the 21st century.